Ottawa Backs U.S. Demand For Fees

The USA Network and U.S. superstations WTBS, WPIX, WOR and WGN are one step closer to coming into Canada on the country’s paycable tier.

Canada’s federal broadcast regulator gave them permission four years ago, but the outlets were barred by the U.S. State Dept. until Canadian cable systems paid copyright fees for all programs they beam into the U.S.

In December, Canada’s cabinet said those fees must be paid.

Under terms of the now two-year-old U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement, Canadian cable operators no longer can pick up programming from U.S. outlets free of charge as they had been doing.

Because of public hearings, the situation was in limbo for much of 1990.

In October, the Canadian Copyright Board ruled that Canadian cable companies had to pay copyright fees totaling $C50 million a year. These fees would be paid retroactive to Jan. 1, 1990. U.S. suppliers would get 85% of the overall tariff. Suppliers of Canadian programs, picked up by cable systems outside their immediate areas, would get the remaining 15%.

Cable companies agreed they must pay copyright fees, but argued that tariffs were set much too high. Payments were not made pending an appeal by the Canadian Cable Assn. to the federal cabinet. In late December, the cabinet rejected the appeal.

The Canadian Cable Assn. now will seek a judicial review by the Canadian federal court. That could send the fee schedule back to the Copyright Board for further consideration.

If copyright payments are made, the USA Network and the superstations will be added to the paycable tier, which currently consists of a Canadian-owned movie channel and Canadian-owned Family Channel.

More Scene

  • HBO's 'SUCCESSION

    Why Brian Cox Says Wealthy Family Drama 'Succession' Is Both Timeless and Timely

    The USA Network and U.S. superstations WTBS, WPIX, WOR and WGN are one step closer to coming into Canada on the country’s paycable tier. Canada’s federal broadcast regulator gave them permission four years ago, but the outlets were barred by the U.S. State Dept. until Canadian cable systems paid copyright fees for all programs they […]

  • Gracie Awards

    Rita Moreno Celebrates Female Empowerment at Gracie Awards: 'It's About Damn Time'

    The USA Network and U.S. superstations WTBS, WPIX, WOR and WGN are one step closer to coming into Canada on the country’s paycable tier. Canada’s federal broadcast regulator gave them permission four years ago, but the outlets were barred by the U.S. State Dept. until Canadian cable systems paid copyright fees for all programs they […]

  • global women's rights awards

    Nina Shaw, Laura Dern Stress Importance of Intersectionality in Time’s Up Movement

    The USA Network and U.S. superstations WTBS, WPIX, WOR and WGN are one step closer to coming into Canada on the country’s paycable tier. Canada’s federal broadcast regulator gave them permission four years ago, but the outlets were barred by the U.S. State Dept. until Canadian cable systems paid copyright fees for all programs they […]

  • 'The Tale' FYC event

    Laura Dern on Impact of 'The Tale' During #MeToo: 'There Is Restorative Justice Here'

    The USA Network and U.S. superstations WTBS, WPIX, WOR and WGN are one step closer to coming into Canada on the country’s paycable tier. Canada’s federal broadcast regulator gave them permission four years ago, but the outlets were barred by the U.S. State Dept. until Canadian cable systems paid copyright fees for all programs they […]

  • LOS ANGELES, CA - MAY 19:

    'Stranger Things' Team Offers Glimpses Into Season 3 at Netflix FYSee

    The USA Network and U.S. superstations WTBS, WPIX, WOR and WGN are one step closer to coming into Canada on the country’s paycable tier. Canada’s federal broadcast regulator gave them permission four years ago, but the outlets were barred by the U.S. State Dept. until Canadian cable systems paid copyright fees for all programs they […]

  • 'Pose' TV show premiere

    Ryan Murphy Wants 'Pose' to Be 'Uplifting' for LGBTQ Community in Trump Era

    The USA Network and U.S. superstations WTBS, WPIX, WOR and WGN are one step closer to coming into Canada on the country’s paycable tier. Canada’s federal broadcast regulator gave them permission four years ago, but the outlets were barred by the U.S. State Dept. until Canadian cable systems paid copyright fees for all programs they […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content