Germany’s two national public broadcasters, ARD and ZDF, got lambasted by the print media for their coverage of the Gulf War. Both stations signed quick one-year deals with CNN Intl., with each paying $175,000. Germany’s commercial broadcasters, SAT1, RTL Plus, and Tele 5, all have longterm agreements with CNN to avoid the high costs of setting up their own network of correspondents. The ARD and ZDF deals give them unlimited use of CNN coverage. Buzz hears deals had been in the works for awhile, but the pubcasters hesitated because CNN wanted access to their newscasts for its own European service, and it could then have been broadcast by ARD and ZDF’s commercial rivals.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania